CRESS is an internationally renowned centre for Research in Epidemiology and Statistics.
Our mission is to study and understand population health and its determinants across the lifecourse (from conception to ageing), develop innovative methods and design and evaluate interventions to improve clinical practices and public health policies.
At CRESS, we are committed to fostering a vibrant and dynamic community, driven by the following core principles:
- Scientific Excellence and Innovation: We strive for scientific excellence and encourage innovative approaches to address the pressing challenges in public health.
- Collaboration: We believe in the power of collective intelligence.
- Interdisciplinarity: We seize opportunities enabled by technological developments by embracing interdisciplinary perspectives, fostering creativity, and pioneering new approaches.
- Research Integrity: Through a culture of continuous evaluation and improvement of our research practices, we maintain the highest standards of research integrity, promoting robust, transparent, reproducible, open, and sustainable research.
- Commitment to Real-World connections: Our research is deeply rooted in real-life contexts, driven by strong links with society, patients, hospitals, and public health stakeholders. We are dedicated to making a tangible impact on clinical practices, research methodologies, and national and international healthcare policies.
- Diversity: We celebrate diversity by attracting talents from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, recognizing that diversity enriches our collective experience.
- Leadership Development: We are committed to building the next generation of leaders in Epidemiology and Statistics. This commitment ensures the ongoing influence and legacy of CRESS in shaping the future of public health research.
- Member Well-being and Fulfilment: We acknowledge that the well-being and fulfilment of our members are paramount. These factors form the cornerstone of our cohesion, creativity, and the overall quality of our research.
Our areas of research
- Obstetrical and perinatal epidemiology
- Paediatric epidemiology
- Childhood cancer epidemiology
- Nutritional epidemiology (child and adult)
- Epidemiology of early origins of health (DOHad)
- Life course epidemiology
- Epidemiology of ageing and neurodegenerative diseases
- Epidemiology of multimorbidity
- Clinical epidemiology in rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases
- Environmental epidemiology
- Biostatistics, artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Interventional epidemiology
- Therapeutic evaluation
- Novel clinical trial designs
- Causal inference methods
- Trajectory analysis
- Analysis of complex systems
- Digital health
- Personalised medicine
- Evidence synthesis
- Citizen Sciences
- Research on Research
- Open science
We optimize existing methods, develop innovative approaches, and adapt new methods to the field of health.
CRESS is affiliated with four supervisory bodies: Université Paris Cité, Université Sorbonne Paris Nord, Inserm, and INRAe.
Over the past 10 years CRESS has been led by Philippe Ravaud, with the support of Stéphanie Chardon, the general secretary. It is one of the largest accredited research centers dedicated to research in epidemiology and statistics in France.
CRESS is headquartered in central Paris at the Hôtel Dieu, with teams located at various hospital and university sites.